Time for zeds, good night Audrey … I’ll leave you with this rather nice sunset …
It’s 2 photos merged with Photoshop. Taken on my iPhone 4s.
Photos taken in Thailand (c) Don Charisma 2013
I downloaded some free software to “accelerate downloads” called “Download Accelerate Plus”. It kind of works, but I uninstalled it as it was causing problems on my machine (Control Panel->Uninstall a program). I now mostly do downloads on Firefox because I found this to be a better solution.
You’d think that’d Speedbit would be gone, but no, my browser homepage on both Firefox and Chrome resets itself to “go.speedbit.com/?pid=s” anytime the machine is restarted. It also sets the default search engine on both browsers to speedbit. This seems to have got worse, presumably because this nasty bit of software automatically updates itself.
It’s incredibly annoying because I start the browser to do some work, and then have extra unnecessary steps to reset it back to google.co.uk my normal search engine. This becomes old very fast. In fact they’ve annoyed me enough to spend a few hours putting this how-to together.
Doing some digging using Start->Run->msconfig tool I discover speedbit isn’t uninstalled like I thought it was. They’ve installed service called “Speedbit Update” which sits there and updates itself and F***s around with my browsers. Really it’s verging on a virus.
So how to get rid of this annoyance ? Well these are the steps I took to irradiate this nuisance.
- First step is to stop and delete the service. This must be done as administrator. So Start->All Program->Accessories->Right Click on “Command Prompt”, then select “Run As Administrator” from the pop-up menu. This will bring up a command prompt window that’s running as the Administrator user and has the privileges necessary to run the commands. Which are (see screenshot) :
- That’s the first step. We also need to remove the entries that start the service when the machine starts up from the registry. Experienced users can probably do this with regedit. I chose to use ccleaner, which is free, I’ve used before and I trust the developers. Download here - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
- So install ccleaner. Then in ccleaner, go to Tools->Startup->Scheduled tasks. There are two entries for speedbit. DELETE both of them, like so :
(I’ve reddacted a couple of entries for my own prviacy)
- Once you’ve done that you’ll need to restart your machine.
- Once you’ve restarted – use the Start->Run->msconfig config tool to confirm that Speedbit is no longer a startup service.
- You can double check this in Services Start->Computer->Right click and on the menu select “Manage”, then navigate to Services and Applications->Services. Check the Speedbit service isn’t there.
- For completeness you’ll need to delete the Speedbit program files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\SpeedBit\SBUpdate … Start->Run->”C:\Program Files\Common Files\”, then delete the directory and empty it from your recycle bin.
- For info on how to set your browsers back to how you like them see this page - http://www.techsupportall.com/remove-home-speedbit-com-removal-help/
Good luck, and hopefully you’ll now be enjoying a happy Speedbit free life.
Resources & Sources
How to Delete a Windows Service in Windows 7, Vista or XP - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-windows-service-in-vista-or-xp/
Preventing programs from automatically loading - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000198.htm
ccleaner download - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Virus graphic - www.wallsgeneration.ru
When I was in University I had a friend Jim. Jim was a mature student in his 40s with a brain tumour. Well at least that’s what he told me, not sure if it was just an excuse to explain his nutty’ness.
Jim bought a new hard drive, probably showing my age now, but it was 500MB. He said to me – “I’ve got THE hard drive I’ll never EVER need a bigger one, I AM COMPLETE” … guess what a year later he was buying a 1GB hard drive (twice the capacity).
Fast forward to today, and you can buy a 4TB hard drive. That’s 8000 times the size of my friend’s hard drive to end all hard drives …
So my question is – why don’t they make hard drives that are big enough ?
OR will I ever buy a hard drive that is big enough to store everything on ?
OR am I always destined to feel inadequate in the hard drive department ?
OR will my computer ever feel satisfied with the size of hard drive I put in ?
BECAUSE – a lady once told me size doesn’t matter, but I’m not sure I believe her.
(trying to keep a straight face, but struggling, a lot)
Resources & Sources
Hard Drives – Wikipedia CC
Notes for commenters:
Comments are invited. BUT you are reminded that this is a public blog and you are also reminded to think before you press the “post comment” button.
Good manners are a mark of a charismatic person – so please keep comments civil, non-argumentative, constructive and related, or they will be moderated. If you feel you can’t comply, press the “unfollow” button and/or refrain from commenting.
I read ALL comments but can’t always reply. I will comment if I think there’s something that I can add to what you’ve said. I do delete without notice comments that don’t follow rules above. For persistent offenders I will ignore you permanently and/or report you.
Most decent people already know how to behave respectfully. Thank you for your co-operation on the above.
Warm regards, Don Charisma
I walk past this tree everyday. I don’t know why it has the hangy-down-bits, but they add some character …
I’ve merged six landscape photos together with Photoshop to form one towerama. It’s basically like looking with 3 pairs of eyes at the same time (or is it 4 ?)
Must get some zeds, the match sticks are starting to strain
Taken in Thailand (c) Don Charisma 2014
It’s Kite Surfing at sunset this time, with Bill Withers
Certainly a lot of fun playing with video editing in Photoshop. Slowly getting my head around all of the possibilities, which are endless …
Video taken in Thailand (c) Don Charisma 2014
I bought this double CD a long time ago it’s called “The Best And Friends Album In The World Ever”. It’s one of my favourite CDs, it is really easy to listen, I love the era of music.
Trini Lopez is awesome, only have two tracks in my music collection “Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now” and “If I Had A Hammer”. Catchy uplifting pop, and that guy has such an amazing voice !
The video is constructed using video taken off my iPhone shot at the local shopping center PLUS. The plus is that I finally figured out how to do video editing in Photoshop. It’s some basic effects, not broadcast quality just yet, but hey I had fun making it which is all that matters to me.
Photoshop was able to encode high quality video with audio, up to 1080P resolution that I tried. The file I’ve uploaded is 720p as it’s smaller file size and really don’t really expect anyone will be watching on a 80 inch screen !
So I give you Trini Lopez VS water feature
Video & Screen Shot (c) Don Charisma 2014