Search Engine Optimisation is the process whereby a website owner or webmaster makes his website more accessible and organised so that internet search engines find it easier to index and serve his(/her) pages to searchers. SEO has been adapted and added to, in layman’s terms these days it means pretty much the same thing as “Promoting”.
The first article for the selection process is on SEO. Intern applicants you have 48 hours to write the article :
Title : “How Google Search Really Works”
Length : 500 – 2000 words
Images : 1 image/infographic IF you feel it would add to your writing
Start Time : 27-Apr-2014 00:01 GMT (midnight) – please check your timezone
End Time : 29-Apr-2014 00:01 GMT (midnight)
- You may change the title, but please give an explanation on why you’ve changed the title. It may be that you think that search engines will prefer one title over another. It could be that you have one that’s easier to read. Just let me know why. This explanation will not be published with the article.
- You’ll have to try to be all things to all people. The article needs to have technical merit and actually give something of value, first importance. Of secondary importance are readability, humour and perhaps fun. The article will be read by readers of this blog which is a certain demographic, and later picked up by Google, which could be an entirely different demographic. It’s not an easy task, just advising on the parameters, so use your best judgement. Don’t force humour, that usually doesn’t work, best to stick with a style you’re most comfortable with/ think is most appropriate.
- Try to make the article digestible in one sitting. If it’s too long readers may become bored and leave the site. If it’s too short, you may not actually be able to communicate anything useful. Overall I want compelling content which keeps readers on the page.
- I may allow more graphics in the document if you feel it would add to your writing. But please be aware that each additional image requires extra publishing time (for me) in saving/cropping/sizing/placing, so it’s extra work in the publishing. Search engines are most interested in the words, images in my experience are mostly to enhance the content, which is a factor. .png file for graphics 8-bit simple/24-bit for transparency, .jpg file for photos. Try and make the width either 660, 850 or 1024 pixels. 660 is best. Precise square (1:1) to landscape is best, only use taller than a square to portrait if you need to.
- You will need to decide on what you think your keywords are. I will not publish these with the article, but please can you let me know what you think the keywords are, and your justification for using them is, in brief, doesn’t need to be the Gettysburg address 🙂
- You have 48 hours in which to produce the article. I may give slightly longer time if I’m given a compelling reason. If you think you need more time then please contact me about this as soon as you know.
- Do not breach anyone’s copyright. If you need stock photos use morgueFile.com. If you need graphics all-free-download.com may have something or you will need to do yourself.
- Paraphrasing is an important skill I want you to continue to develop, and I would prefer you didn’t need to cite sources. However if you quote or your material is very similar to content from your research, you will need to cite your sources.
- I have two articles on my blog that may be useful reference – “Virgin’s guide to promoting a blog or website on Google” and “Virgin’s Guide to Promoting a Blog or Website (Ethos – Part 2)”. Both articles have in excess of 200 likes, and were very well received. There is room for improvement, I do know that, so use them as an aid, not a template.
- Regardless of intern applicants dropping out we will carry on with the selection process. I believe that it serves as useful experience in and of itself, so it’s worthwhile even with only one applicant.
- Please try and have fun, this is when you will produce your best work. I’ve made it a competitive selection to push you towards brilliance, not hinder you. Just do your best, it’s all any of us can do.
- PLEASE DO ASK QUESTIONS. PLEASE DO COMMUNICATE ISSUES AND PROBLEMS OR THINGS YOU WANT HELP WITH. I’M HERE TO HELP. SO USE THIS RESOURCE WISELY, BUT DON’T TAKE THE PISS.
The Writers – Intern Applicants
There are now five applicants :
heatherbcosta – heatherbcosta.wordpress.com/about/
RuralPoet – ruralpoet.wordpress.com/what-is-your-lifes-purpose/
thatmominchelsea – thatmominchealsea.wordpress.com/about/
nupoorjain – nupurrule90.wordpress.com/about/
indianaiype – indianaiype.wordpress.com/about/
One applicant is not going forward :
mandamoonflower – mandamoonflower.wordpress.com/about/
*PLEASE CONTACT ME AND LET ME KNOW YOU’VE RECEIVED THIS AND ARE READY TO GO. ALSO I NEED TO KNOW OF ANY ISSUES ASAP*
OTHER BLOGGERS DO NOT RESPOND TO THE INTERN’S WRITING TITLES, I WILL IGNORE ANY PINGBACKS AND COMMENTS IF YOU TRY TO ENTER WITH WHAT IS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.
I WILL TAKE A VERY DIM VIEW OF ANYONE WHO INTERFERES WITH OUR INTERN PROGRAM. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED – WE DO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN.
Resources & Sources
Pen & Paper – morgueFile
Notes for commenters:
Comments are invited. BUT you are reminded that this is a public blog and you are also reminded to think before you press the “post comment” button.
Good manners are a mark of a charismatic person – so please keep comments civil, non-argumentative, constructive and related, or they will be moderated. If you feel you can’t comply, press the “unfollow” button and/or refrain from commenting.
I read ALL comments but can’t always reply. I will comment if I think there’s something that I can add to what you’ve said. I do delete without notice comments that don’t follow rules above. For persistent offenders I will ignore you permanently and/or report you.
Most decent people already know how to behave respectfully. Thank you for your co-operation on the above.
Warm regards, Don Charisma
8 thoughts on “Intern Selection Process – Article One – SEO”
Don, I love this idea, mind if I crib it for use IRL?
Thanks, and not able to answer yes or no as I don’t know what “crib it for use IRL” means ?
Sorry, use it for when I recruit my next intern class in real life for my office
OK, yes sure, it’s out in public, so polite of you to ask 🙂
Reblogged this on patrick nelissen and commented:
Why don’t you give it a try? Unfortunately I am not experienced enough…
Thanks for reblog 🙂