I’ve owned several Canon digital cameras over the years, which have all come with a “free” utility called PhotoStitch.
PhotoStitch isn’t the most feature packed or the newest software, but it does work well, made by a well respected company. It can do Panning (Scenery etc), Parallel Camera Movement (Documents etc) and Images scanned in sections.
I’ve tested it with Photos taken on my iPhone 4s and it seems that the pictures don’t have to be taken on a Canon camera.
Update Mar-2014 – I’ve just written about alternatives to Canon Photostitch, so you might want to check them out in my article – “Panorama Stitching Software – Alternatives To Canon Photostitch”
Reason that I’m writing about this, is that ten years after taking some Panoramas, I wanted to stitch them together. I didn’t have the install CD or the camera or the software any more. After much hunting high and low, I found it’s possible to install PhotoStitch for free.
Here’s how :
1. Download the Canon PhotoStitch Updater 3.1.23 (see links below) filename will be “psw-upz-3-1-23-47-r7-u01-9l.zip”
1A. If you already have Photostitch installed then skip to step 4.
2. Make a new text document, save as “canon_or_whatever.txt”, then rename to “canon_or_whatever.reg”, contents :
Windows 7 32bit –
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
Windows 7 64bit –
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
3. Double click on the “canon_or_whatever.reg” file and accept changes when asked by the User Control Account. This puts “dummy” entries in the computer’s registry so installer thinks PhotoStitch is already installed.
4. Run the installer for Canon PhotoStitch Updater 3.1.23. This will either update existing software, or if you’ve patched the registry, then will install from scratch.
5. You should be good to go, if not, or you’re a Mac user, then there is a little more detail here.
Tips for using
1. There are features tucked away behind buttons, so take some time to familiarise with all the functions
2. Pictures need to be ordered correctly for Photostitch to work, so you’ll need to reorder if not already in exactly the correct order, left to right.
3. When the join isn’t quite right you can use the “Display Seems” and match corresponding parts of photos manually. Two options drag and drop the whole left photo onto right or match up small square sections.
4. Saving in Photoshop .psd files seems to give higher quality images.
5. I found a video tutorial here, if you have the patience to listen to the guy talking !
Install Canon camera software without the CD
Canon PhotoStitch Updater 3.1.23 (Australian Website) Win 7 & 8 (32 & 64 bit)- http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0200246607.html
Canon PhotoStitch Updater 3.1.23 (UK Website Website) Win 7 & 8 (32 & 64 bit)-http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_S_series/PowerShot_S70.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-998350&page=1&type=download
Canon USA Website- http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_s_series/powershot_s70#DriversAndSoftware
144 thoughts on “How to get Canon PhotoStitch Panorama and Photo Stitching software for free”
Sos un Genio!!!!!! Mil Gracias!
Your work around worked a treat I’ve been trying to install this for some time untill now. thanks, it helps if you know how to operate DOS in the command prompt, but I figured it out after many years of not using it.
Thank you very much! Bought used Canon PS G12 (without CD) and was wondering how to get PhotoStitch. It works! Perfect! (Win7 64)
I didn’t quite follow the ‘save as txt, rename as reg, then double click’ instructions but after saving a registry copy then making the changes using REGEDIT the install worked fine. Thanks!
Thanks a million ! Really happy with this.
Brilliant and very helpful post. I was in the same position and couldn’t find a download that wasn’t the updater. Thanks very much for putting this online.
I was in the same situation, I have a Canon camera but lost the CD with the Photo Utilities. Although I had to create the registry entries manually, it worked OK, thank you very much.
You’re very welcome 🙂
thank you very much for your help
You’re welcome 🙂
Canon PHOTOSTITCH is the most useless, frustrating, panoramic software I have had the misfortune of wasting my time.. Its crap, and sad that canon could even produce this rubbish. No more for me!
LOL … I don’t agree … I use multiple packages and each have their own deficiencies … check out the alternatives I posted
Ooooh! Canon photostitch is a sweet program, but I didn’t think there was anyway for me to get it on my latest laptop! This looks a little tricky, but I’m going to see if I can get it to work. Thanks.
It should be fairly simple, basically you’re duping the windows registry into thinking Photostitch is already installed … if in doubt always take a backup … I say this because it’s the one time I don’t, that I get caught out !
Very useful info! Thank you!
You’re very welcome 😀
Great * * * * *
YOu are welcOme 🙂
Comments are closed.