Jordan Peterson’s book “12 Rules For Life” is said to have been based on an original list of 40 rules which Jordan posted on Quora in answer to “What are the most valuable things everyone should know ?” originally in 2012.
There seems to be a rumour of Quora having deleted his post as “spam” (even after 100K likes), but spam sounds fishy way of saying, we’re partisans, and we’re censoring you. But as I say, rumour.
Jordan Peterson’s 40 Rules For Life
- Tell the truth.
- Do not do things that you hate.
- Act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.
- Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient.
- If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things.
- Pay attention.
- Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you need to know. Listen to them hard enough so that they will share it with you.
- Plan and work diligently to maintain the romance in your relationships.
- Be careful who you share good news with.
- Be careful who you share bad news with.
- Make at least one thing better every single place you go.
- Imagine who you could be, and then aim single-mindedly at that.
- Do not allow yourself to become arrogant or resentful.
- Try to make one room in your house as beautiful as possible.
- Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today.
- Work as hard as you possibly can on at least one thing and see what happens.
- If old memories still make you cry, write them down carefully and completely.
- Maintain your connections with people.
- Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or artistic achievement.
- Treat yourself as if you were someone that you are responsible for helping.
- Ask someone to do you a small favour, so that he or she can ask you to do one in the future.
- Make friends with people who want the best for you.
- Do not try to rescue someone who does not want to be rescued, and be very careful about rescuing someone who does.
- Nothing well done is insignificant.
- Set your house in perfect order before you criticize the world.
- Dress like the person you want to be.
- Be precise in your speech.
- Stand up straight with your shoulders back.
- Don’t avoid something frightening if it stands in your way — and don’t do unnecessarily dangerous things.
- Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them.
- Do not transform your wife into a maid.
- Do not hide unwanted things in the fog.
- Notice that opportunity lurks where responsibility has been abdicated.
- Read something written by someone great.
- Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.
- Do not bother children when they are skateboarding.
- Don’t let bullies get away with it.
- Write a letter to the government if you see something that needs fixing — and propose a solution.
- Remember that what you do not yet know is more important than what you already know.
- Be grateful in spite of your suffering.
Source – Quora – Jordan Peterson
Image source (Fair use) – https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/
Hope you are safe and stays that way.
ADD Us On Social Media
We syndicate out to some of these sites, so maybe be easier for you to follow us on these platforms :
Resources & Sources
Unless otherwise stated everything here is (c) DonCharisma.org, all rights are reserved – Please contact us if you want to buy digital assets from this website, we’d be happy to help. Sometimes we use photos from stock sites (or public domain) which are un-watermarked (Watermarked photos are normally our own). Where content is included from elsewhere on the internet (for example news articles, or parts of articles, images or YouTube videos) – we have included under fair use, that is for “satire or discussion” (or any of the other fair uses), we will usually cite the source (where known or disclosed to us) and that copyright remains with copyright holder. Each and every post on this website has an open comments section, so it’s usually a discussion, but sometimes satire appears in comments, or in the post.
*Shameless self-promotion* – Sometimes we work – Our commercial site :
DonCharisma.com – you dream it we built it … because – “anything is possible with Charisma”
Comments are very often welcomed, provided you can string a legible, relevant and polite sentence together. In other cases probably best shared with your therapist, or kept to yourself.