Looking around for how to quickly turn a photo of myself into a cartoon, well, there’s a lot of crap out there and not much that’s “quick”. So I’ve written a short tutorial on how to cartoon yourself in ONE minutes or so with Photoshop. I’m using Photoshop CS6, but assume it’s similar in other versions.
This is the after photo (thank you to morgueFile for the photo) :
The Basic Technique
1. Open photo in Photoshop
2. DO Filter->Filter Gallery->Poster Edges
3. DO Filter->Filter Gallery->Cutout
4. That’s it DONE !
The cartoon doesn’t always look aesthetically pleasing straight off. Solutions I’ve found are :
1. Up the brightness and contrast before applying the filters, at a ratio of approximately 1 to 3, brightness to contrast. I can’t give exact numbers as it will vary from photo to photo. For my example I didn’t change the brightness or contrast.
2. The Cutout filter has sliders for “Number of Levels”, “Edge Simplicity” and “Edge Fidelity”. Some experimenting with these will lead to a more pleasing result in most case. For my example I used – Levels=4, Simplicity=4 and Fidelity=2
3. Try a different photo taken in different light conditions. Generally well lit daytime shots look better.
4. Post-processing in Photoshop. The basic technique I’ve already shared will give you an excellent starting point on which to build. Use for instance paint brush tool to smooth shaded areas. Healing spot can be used to remove spots of colour in “the wrong place”.
5. You might want to check out my more detailed cartoon yourself tutorials – “How to Cartoon Yourself (or Myself or Whatever) – Two Days of Cartoonification” AND “Miss Charisma – Cartoonize my girlfriend, another two days of cartoonification !“. These techniques require more patience, but the end results are stunning.
6. Check out my “Hire me” page, and contact me if you want us to do it for you.
This is the exact same before photo I used to create the “after” cartoon, so you can try on the same one as me if you like 🙂
It’s been cropped to landscape 4:3 from original mourgeFile photo
Resources and Sources
Painted Woman Photo – morgueFile